You can clean a moldy area with a diluted bleach product. Larger
areas, 2 sq. ft. or more, should be removed by a professional in mold
- Remember to protect your hands, eyes and lungs using appropriate
protection such as rubber gloves, eye wear and a mask.
- Never mix chlorine bleach solution with
other cleaning solutions or detergents
that contain ammonia because toxic fumes could
Control dampness - Moisture is the key ingredient to mold formation.
Cleaning and keeping the area dry will prevent mold from reoccurring.
Mold can reoccur in as little as twenty-four hours after the area was
cleaned. The Mold Patrol Testing Unit recommends special air quality and
humidity systems for proper air management to flush out existing mold
spores and to prevent mold from reoccurring. Speak to your
Mold Patrol inspector for details.
Dead mold can continue to cause allergic reactions in some people
so it is important that the mold is properly managed, neutralized and
Safety Tips and Management
- Humidity levels should stay between fifteen percent (15%) and below
forty percent (40%) during the heating season, depending on the outdoor
- Use an air management system to control humidity levels
- Add mold inhibitors to paints before application.
- Clean bathrooms with mold killing products.
- Never install carpeting in bathrooms or basements.